Trinity Design/Build is located in Durham, North Carolina and specializes in full service residential design and construction. We work closely with homeowners on a wide range of projects including additions, whole and partial renovations, and new construction. We also specialize in historic preservation, green building, and eco-friendly interiors, and have trained preservationists on staff. We are very passionate about what we do and pride ourselves on providing thoughtful design, exceptional service and quality construction to our clients.
As a full service company, Trinity Design/Build (TDB) can manage every aspect of each project from beginning to end. We start by listening to our clients, which provides the foundation for a thorough planning and development process to determine feasibility and gather information to generate a comprehensive scope of work. We provide expert advice for issues ranging from site planning and zoning, to tax credits and project financing. We prepare detailed plans, specifications, scopes of work and corresponding budgets, making sure they are consistent with our clients’ priorities and budget limitations.
While TDB has the capacity to lead all phases of a project, we also enjoy collaborating in a variety of ways with a wide range of architects, contractors, consultants and other professionals per client needs and preferences. Regardless of what services TDB provides, we believe in the Design/Build approach: it yields an efficient and cost-effective method of construction. The design of the project and the physical construction are completely integrated. The process allows for better communication, quality control, accountability and cost control.
TDB rehabilitates buildings constructed during the last century, retaining their historic features and charm, while updating their systems and efficiency so they will be sustainable for another century. Neither the past is sacrificed for the future, nor the future sacrificed for the past.
We are intimately familiar with all facets of the restoration process, from initial evaluation of an existing structure to the final finish details. A renovation may entail discovering the original gracious spaces hidden in a rabbit warren of small rooms, finishing an empty attic or basement, or adding new spaces to an existing house, echoing architectural details along the way. We create a functional, beautiful space while simultaneously preserving the history and architecture.
TDB is known for its experience and expertise in sustainable and energy efficient construction. Every renovation, addition or new construction project is an opportunity to build green and promote a healthier environment. We actively work with energy auditors and other specialists to outline specific improvement strategies based on clients’ needs. Technologies and strategies that we use include (but are not limited to): advanced framing techniques; advanced insulation strategies; high efficiency HVAC systems (e.g. geothermal heat pumps); solar and on-demand hot water systems; rainwater /graywater catchment and re-use; PV solar panels; day lighting; passive solar design; salvaging, recycling and reclaiming materials from the existing structures; and low VOC paint, caulk and adhesives.
- North Carolina General Contractor, Unlimited License 58699
- AIA North Carolina
- National Association of Homebuilders
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation Durham
- Clean Energy Durham
- United States Green Building Council
- Not-So-Big House Professional Member
Trinity Design/Build is a Better Business Bureau accredited business.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- 2020 Home Builders Association Remodelers Outstanding Construction Award, “Best Historic Remodel” – Hill House
- 2019 Home Builders Association Remodelers Outstanding Construction Award, “Best Historic Remodel” – The Barracks
- 2016 L. Vincent Lowe, Jr. – Business Award, Preservation North Carolina – the highest honor presented to a business which assists or promotes historic preservation in North Carolina
- 2014 Trinity Park Home Tour – 212 Watts St. (c.1910) & 1005 Gloria Ave (1925)
- 2012 Neighborhood Conservation Award, 1814 Vale St (1920)
- 2011 Pyne Preservation Award, Snipes-Kanter House (1925)
- 2010 Golden Leaf Sustainable Properties Award, Winner, The Great A&P Grocery (1927)
- 2010 Pyne Preservation Award, Eakes House (1923)
- 2010 Pyne Preservation Award, Kantner House (1910)
- 2010 Pyne Preservation Award, M.I. Tilley House (1910)
Trinity Design/Build was the designer/developer/contractor on:
- the first historic LEED building in North Carolina
- the second LEED Platinum building in North Carolina
- the seventh-smallest LEED building on Earth
- the first historic home (known) to achieve US EPA Energy Star Rating (704 N Buchanan, Durham, North Carolina, 74 HERS). Owner’s estimated 10-year energy savings exceeds $65,000.
Green Restorations: Sustainable Buildings and Historic Homes. 2010, New Society Publishers.
- 2009 Pyne Preservation Award, W.I. Cranford House (1910)
- 2009 Pyne Preservation Award, The Great A & P Grocery (1927)
- 2009 Neighborhood Conservation Award, High House (1903)
- 2009 Pyne Preservation Award, William Ivey Cranford House (1910)
- 2009 Pyne Preservation Award, The Great A&P Grocery (1927)
- 2009 Neighborhood Conservation Award, William and Lucille High House (1903)
- 2008 UNC Kenan Flagler Business Accelerator for Sustainable Entrepreneurship (BASE) Member
- 2008 Downtown Durham, Inc. The Art of Cool Award: Best Sustainable Re-development
- 2008 Outstanding Downtown Renovation, Downtown Durham Inc., The Great A&P Grocery (1927)
- 2007 Neighborhood Conservation Award, Duke University Acquisitions
- 2007 Neighborhood Conservation Award, M. Webb Thompson House (1923)
- 2006 Pyne Preservation Nominee, Lula Jones House (1906)
- 2006 North Carolina Sustainable Energy Association Green Building Tour, M. Webb Thompson House (1923)
- 2005 Pyne Preservation Award, Walter and I.C. Farabow Duplex (1923)
- Downtown NCSEA Solar Home Tour Showcase, invitee 2004, 2005, 2008
- NAHB Green Building Tour 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009
1% of Trinity Design/Build’s annual profits are donated to support United Solar Initiative, a 501c3 non-profit organization based in Durham, NC. United Solar Initiative works to facilitate solar energy solutions to address energy and water poverty in underdeveloped communities around the world.